PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rumour: Sunstate Engineers suspended over aircraft sabotage?
Old 25th Sep 2012, 08:46
Eastwest Loco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Understandable call Stationair, however DPO would lose out overall.

We currently have the only TAS airport that is full service on every departure, has full bag check through (on a single ticket) internationally and can start overseas fares on QF, EK, BA, FJ and a bunch of others on the one fare basis which means the ticketing airline is responsible for the passenger all the way if a connection falls over.

If DJ dropped an ATR in it would most likely be middle of day unless they commit to 3 flights daily on the plum spots which I well know. The travel patterns haven't altered in over 30 years and most likely will not ever.

At best, the market for a single flight per day is not early or late which are the higher yield slots for the corporate/ sportsfans markets. Take a look at mel MQL - middle of the day, lower yield traffic for an aeroplane that can be much better utilized on the 0600 to 0900 and 1630 to 1930 slots on a market that pays the bigger bucks elsewhere. The MQL operation could be seen as "nuisance value" against Rex and Ratlink and no more. I would love to see the P+L on the route.

The other thing is thowing an ATR or whatever equipment into DPO would dilute the flow from the coast to LST and therefore reduce viability and returns ex there. When EW was operating ex DPO we were pulling an average of 25% of each load out of other catchments. That and other facto that the loads we were pulling out of LST and WNY as well as the damage being done on SYD OOL and SYD MCY among many others meant that slimebag Fatman with the help of his pocket pal the Bodgie had to buy us.

I can't see DJ entering, and hope they don't. They aren't required and will degrade the overall service as if Ratlink reduce flights the overnighter which is the most costly to operate due to hotel/cab/crew costs will most likel;y be the 1st to go and that is the most useful flight to the North West Coast.

If the low yield stuff can't get a seat cheaply ex DPO to MEL, they either get dropped at LST or get the Housing Commission Taxi, the Spirit of Tasmania.

Ratlink is providing a very good service, and hopefully the recent Q300 brain farts are cyclic and in general the service is excellent, but the jury is out on this matter to see if the reliability issues are because of a change in maintainence protocols we are unaware of.

I would like to think not.

Best regards

EWL

Last edited by Eastwest Loco; 25th Sep 2012 at 08:50.