PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737-200 or ATR??
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2012, 05:40
Luke SkyToddler

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Jesus H Christ ...

If anyone who has read those emails still wishes to send their money, then you bloody deserve to lose it all.

Have any of you flown into Afghanistan? Or Sri Lanka? Or "East Africa"? I have, all three, and let me tell you it's scarey enough doing it with a respectable airline operator in a brand new A330 with all the situational awareness tools at your disposal. With some cowboy contract outfit, probably with a third world forged-licence idiot in the LHS, in a barely flyable illegally maintained clapped out 737-200, doesn't bear thinking about.

Even if there was a job waiting on the end of that email (which there isn't) ... and even if you were daft enough to want to spend $45K on a 737-200 rating (which is the daftest thing I've ever heard of) ... and even if you were super duper daft enough to want to get paid $1500 a month to fly in and out of those places (by way of comparison, some of my friends who fly for a South African cargo operator in and out of Afghanistan, Iraq, Peshawar etc earn over $US20,000 a month as danger money, and they have been shot at with RPG's and small arms fire on approach on numerous occasions) ...

... even after all those things, you would have a life expectancy measured in months rather than years and you would be living in a sh!t hole the likes of which you cannot even begin to imagine if you have never ventured outside the circuit pattern in a Seneca in Blighty before.

... and even if you miraculously survived the first couple of years and actually learned enough to survive in that environment, you would STILL be unemployable back in the civilized world, because the rating is worthless and the operators concerned are a joke.

Good luck