PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow expansion won't happen
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2012, 21:50
Ernest Lanc's

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had David Cameron won an outright majority in the last election...IMO plans would now be underway for a third runway at Heathrow..

He would not have been able to stand up to his backbenchers who want the extension..Simply because he would have not had the Liberal baggage round his neck, and running scared of a coalition split if Cameron now backs a third runway at Heathrow.

He used this as an excuse to silence the pro extension faction.

In the very unlikely event that Cameron or his successor wins outright in the next election, you IMO can bet Heathrow will get it's runway..Reason is all the other alternatives are crackers, like the floating runways.

There will be another coalition most probably after the next general election..Heavens knows what the make up of the UK government may be.

If the leaning is left of middle(Liberal) - Heathrow won't get it's runway, Boris has no chance with his riverport..So that will IMO leave the UK falling behind in world aviation.

The decision on Heathrow's third runway, or for that matter any major scheme like Boris island, won't be based on the need for more capacity - it will be based solely for political expediency.

Point of my post..While we have the current political set up. I can't see any appetite for upsetting London voters.

I could be wrong though, who knows what News 24 may tell us tomorrow

Goes without saying - i think the only viable solution to this argument that benefits London and the UK is general in time.Is a third runway at Heathrow.