PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why pilots are paid so much
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2003, 11:25
Lou Scannon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to disagree, but I have never experienced that sort of undamped roll in the Airbus. I did experience it twice on the 757. The first time it suddenly dropped a wing near the flare and in trying to level the aircraft it dropped the other wing. This happened about three times and the landing (mercifully on both wheels at the same time) intervened to prevent further departures.

Go-around? Would love to have done but by the time the engines were spooling up-it was all over.

The second time was on the approach when a gentle roll in either direction developed despite my inputs. It soon however seemed to damp itself and was merely interesting.

There was a Spanish operator who had the same 757 event going into TFS and managed to go-around, but clipped the fuselage under the tail. It was said that the FDR indicated that had he not elected to go-around, he could have dug a wing tip in.

I have thought about my nasty for years and considered all the possibilities including PIO, but without coming to a conclusion.

Last edited by Lou Scannon; 16th Jan 2003 at 18:49.