PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Ambassador killed in Libya
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2012, 17:13
glojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SASLESS

Is there a shift towards Political Correctness in the UK? Can one be taken to
Court over charges of language considered merely insulting but yet convey no
threat of physical harm, assault, or battery?

If so....is that law
applied equally, fairly, and with consistency to all UK citizens or is there
bias within the administration of that law?

Does the EU now see mere
speech being a criminal offense?

If so.....the Huggy Fluffs are going to
be the end of a good thing....called Freedom.

Quoting from your
link.....

Quote:

When assessing
whether a term is racist or offensive, it is irrelevant whether it is used with
the intention of offending, harming or discriminating against another person or
group of persons. Rather, it is decisive how the person or group of persons
concerned and third parties could understand the term. Consequently, contrary to
the view of the applicant, even a use of the term ‘PAKI', which is not intended
to vilify people of Pakistani origin, can have an offensive
effect.

No more use of the words...."Yank", "Spam", "Septic", "Redneck",
"Colonial", or "Cousins"....please. I am mightily offended by such terms when
applied to Americans in general....and me in particular.

So....you
willing to comply with the finding of the Appeals Board? You willing to clearly
challenge any further use of those terms here at the Military Aircrew
Forum?

Just using your logic, basis, and statement on this.....now that
I am enlightened and informed about the EU/UK strictures on such
language.

Do I understand your position correctly?
Yup you understand correctly and we have allowed the lunatics to rule the asylum.. How dare ANYONE have a sense of humour

I am quite a tall person and if I were to walk into a shop I would see children tug at the arms of their parents and you can here them shouting, 'Look, look at that giant!'

If they were to do the same thing but point at someone of a different colour and perhaps describe their colour then that child can be called a racsist??

To better describe this.. If I played rugby and perhaps accidentally hurt someone and they called me a long streak of gnats urine then no harm done as they are describing me by my height.

If I were a coloured person and they called me a black piece of urine, then they would DEFINITELY get arrested if ANYONE complained.. Is there any difference? They are describing the offender but instead of height, they use colour to make that identity. Our country has gone to the dogs and hopefully I am not being disrespectful to any dogs. There is NO place for rasicsm but we appear to have NO idea what racism is??

I do know that black folk can insult each other by using the 'n' word but woe betide a white person that dares to simply use the same words.

Going back to perhaps being more on topic.. I have no idea really what a 'radical' muslim is but if it is someone that has very strict muslim beliefs then the Taliban might be all considered to fit within that definition and if so, am I correct to suggest the US is negotiating with these folks regarding our withdrawal from Afghanistan?

Do you think this will be another Vietnam?

I think you are wrong to label the demonstraters in the way you have but to me the demonstraters loose ALL credibility when they burn a National flag or an effigy of a Western leader but that is me a Western person applying my standards of acceptability which bear no relationship to folks from a different continent. We cannot compare.....

When in Singapore I once told off an old lady who blew her nose...the contents just missing my feet. I suggested she might in future consider using a handerkerchief, by crikey did I get a telling off. We Western folks have disgusting habits, do you know we blow our noses into a piece of cloth, wrap up the contents and stuff them in our pockets?? Not the same as MURDERING anyone but we do have to understand different cultures and possibly their values. Incidentally straight after that killing happened the Taliban stated it was in connection with something completely different from this film.