PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR take-off minima for light twins?
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2012, 11:40
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like Fuji I also had an engine failure in an almost new twin!
The accident rate on light twins is bad but IMO part is due to lack of currency most is due to the training which is not specific to LIGHT twins and I stress that word.
Pilots are trained to go for blue line and have it so inground they fail to think out of the box and consider other options.
It maybe to close both throttles and take to a suitable field!
It maybe to ignore a climb and to purely establish level flight were light twins are happy doing!
I can remember flying demo work for the main Piper dealership as was at Bournemouth!
For fun we completely shut an engine down and flew it single engine right across the channel!
Crazy thing to do maybe but the twin was as happy as Larry so why attempt blue line if the situation does not make that a good choice?
In my engine failure 3 rocker shafts completely sheared due to over torque at manufacture.
The aircraft was vibrating badly. The unit went at 200 feet and at grosse weight!
Had I gone conventional I knew by the feel of the aircraft that I would go down!
I had maybe 30% power on the sick unit and kept it going with one hand poised on the prop lever until I got to 800 feet where I shut it down in level flight!
IMO more should be taught at looking at the options! Going for blue line maybe the best but could also be the worst

Pace