PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So you want to be a pilot!
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2012, 09:21
flyingpicket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Professor Rubik,
I actually believe that in the main, both your posts have made a worthwhile and positive contribution to this thread. However, if you make offensive and disparaging remarks about a whole group of people you know absolutely nothing about, you surely must have expected some comeback.

"Snivelling punk” may be a term of endearment in the States, but in the UK it is a crass insult with no other purpose than to offend. Criticising the ability, and particularly the intelligence, of a few thousand people, is also likely to raise hackles. You cannot be surprised at that.

‘Inexperienced’, I’d go along with, but hey, you must have been that once. Surely the only real ability required by the person in the RHS initially, is to know and understand the ‘rules of the road’, to be able to keep a cool head in a crisis and to have the ability to get the aircraft safely to its destination and down on the ground, if for some reason the guy in the LHS becomes incapacitated? Being able to land safely on the Hudson, comes later with experience.

I apologise if you think I quoted your remarks out of context, so here they are again in their original context:

“because of guys like you paying your whole way through to the top jobs to subsidise your lack of qualifications, skills and intellegence, guys like me are stuck going absolutely nowhere”.

“they would sooner take the money from a sniveling little oxford punk with wealthy parents. Candy from a baby”

I guess you must consider your assumed age difference and superior intellect (which is implicit in the above comments) give you the right to label my responses as ‘cocky’ and ‘smart-arsed’. I’m obviously considered the ‘upstart’ or ‘naughty school kid’ who isn’t allowed to 'answer back' to his superiors.

“I didnt leap blindly into £100k+ worth of debt before I was old enough to even understand what %APR meant”.

There you go again with another un-called for patronising generality

“Maybe Im not a big fan of the Oxford machine and the standard of the guys they turn out."

Have you ever flown next to one, and if so, was your impression based on a representative sample? Or is this disparaging remark simply based on hearsay?

Well it’s been good talking to you, and I do thank you for your positive sentiments. As for the rest, I guess only time will tell!