PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR take-off minima for light twins?
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2012, 08:20
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this is an easy answer. Regardless of minima, flying IFR privately, I only take off from airports I can land at again. There are many reasons short of engine failure you you might want to land again: popped door, popped baggage door, instrument issues, sick passenger, forgotten charts, loose fuel cap, undercart issues, etc. When you've got discretion on when you go, why make it harder than it needs to be? Typically it only requires waiting a couple of hours for a lift in the weather.

The thing that is frequently forgotten about twins, is that there are many other failures where the redundancy of a second engine is valuable. Vac pump failure, alternator failure are top of the list. I've never had an engine failure, but I've had 3 vac pump failures and an alternator failure in flight. These are a complete non event in a twin, but a serious problem in a single.

The emotion and cries that the second engine only gets you to the scene of the accident focus on total engine failure in the first 3 minutes or so of flight. Engine failure in cruise (statistically much more likely) is a non event in a twin (below critical altitude). Also a twin gives you plenty of options that a single doesn't in the event of a partial engine failure or rough running engine or engine failure on descent.

Twins are poisonously expensive, but no one I know who owns a twin would ever go back to a single for IFR, night or long cross county flights.