PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Statins - miracle or menace?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2012, 16:36
homonculus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dirkdj - a few weeks ago I flew my aircraft and it rained. The next day I didnt fly and it was sunny. So I sold my aircraft because it makes it rain.

Sorry, but your ATC problems were not due to statins. How do we know? Because objective research on thousands of patients has shown it doesnt happen.

Pace - first we had dodgy doctors, now you are claiming there is shady research. The only shady elements are to do with quacks and alternative medicine. Research is highly regulated by ethics committees. You are talking rubbish.

Yes drug companies do exist to make profits and put themselves first. A few years perhaps the best anaesthetic drug in use was pulled because the drug company wanted the plant to make an antibiotic which was more profitable. I am no excusnik for the pharmaceutical industry. BUT without chemists, drug companies and engineers, medicine would still be chopping off legs on the unanaesthetised. There would be no diagnostics and no cancer treatment.

In fact patent law has changed so that the time a pharmaceutical company has to make a profit is so limited they want high profits per unit dose and mass uptake - having someone on a drug long term is little use as it will come off patent