PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Statins - miracle or menace?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2012, 11:01
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the concern for outsiders are the large drug companies.
Looking at medicine in the future we would want "cures"! Cures for Cancer! Heart disease! etc etc etc.
Cures would not suit the big drug companies! Prescribe a drug for life and the drug companies get an income for life which is very different to selling a product which you do not need after a couple of weeks! End of income.
Those drug companies are going to protect those life long earners maybe develop drugs which are better tolerated but still life long earners.
BP tablets and Statins fill that category!
In Fact I would go further the drug companies will produce research which paints a picture they want to paint and have a massive marketing effort placed to make sure the medical world are conditioned to believe it!
I wonder how much the drug companies actually stifle medical advancement in finding proper cures as that is the very last thing they want!

The latest trend no doubt backed up by shady research is for mass medication over a set age Wonderful for the drug companies so do not be surprised that some of us are sceptical? We all know that research like statistics can be made to read what you want them to read.

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 23rd Sep 2012 at 11:08.