PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Visiting a school, what should I be looking for?
Old 23rd Sep 2012, 08:38
flystrathclyde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mad Jock,

You are again correct! An important factor is hat the aircraft involved with any FTO have been "approved" for training as part of the approval on an ongoing basis.

Things happen to aircraft and need to be put right. It is almost a necessity to have a part 145 on site to deal with the issue; not because the aircraft and no good but with high usage there is a requirement for a fair bit of maintenance.

We have just replaced the panels in 2 Cessna 152; it is frustrating (and no reflection on the school) when normal wear and tear requires cosmetic replacement in addition the the normal maintenance. However, that is th norm with all flying schools.

RTN11, you are also correct. If aircraft are neglected then it is obviously detrimental to customers. I do not know your background but if you have recent knowledge of GA you will know that the required standards for maintenance in GA have been increasing in recent years.....and most recently with the Cessna fleet.

While I must admit to preferring low wing aircraft, I acknowledge the strong background and reasoning which makes the Cessna 152 such an ideal training aircraft for initial training; any of our instructors (past and present) will be smiling while reading this as it has always been a popular topic of conversation!

To the main point, I would suggest that the MOST important part of he organisation is the people. Primarily the instructor, but also the attitude of operations and the general approach of all involved. Aircraft are a choice matter, they almost certainly will be airworthy, they will almost certainly have some issue at some point. Each airfield will have its own 'pros and cons'. So the important point is how the individuals involved can take you through the process to become a safe and competent pilot AND pass the tests!

Almost everything else is a 'sales ploy'.....but something to consider. Happy to discuss this part more!!!