PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining Qatar Airways (QR) - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 23rd Sep 2012, 07:03
jibba_jabba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil Devils advocate.

That would not be a bad idea to find a job and stay on this and not resign. But the thing is the few jobs which are available in the market at this time are usually in not so reputable companies. Usually in companies with no proper planning,they just wake up one day and realize they are short of pilots and they take pilots out of the street. I have been in these kind of companies before so I know this from personal experience. I am done and fed up with this kind of environment working and living in certain countries I would not risk the chance that I have now to join a 5 star airline and move in an advanced country rather than working for various so called 'airlines' in developing countries.
I couldnt resist....
In simple words; Qatar is exactly how you described against!!!!!!

.... yes it has some vision; its got alot of money; but its the same mentality you said you didnt want to be around. Good luck if thats your mentality, you'll be hating it quickly.

This place is not the dream place! There is a difference between the glossy pictures and life outside of the malls.

Dont get me wrong, its a quiet place. And I like it in some ways better than the hustle bustle of Dubai, but I would live in Dubai more than Doha if I were to weigh up the entire efficiency of the place and the quality of things.

Qatar services are poor..... 2nd world in ALOT of areas such as alot of road designs; no centralised directory of goods and services; nobody generally has heard of a website for there business nor even updating there numbers in handouts they give you sometimes; No one produces maps of where there place is generally, its just an obscure reference to a roundabout or landmark and you drive around looking! These things seem small by nature but when you need something and have a shift in "12 Hrs" which is really 9hrs with getting ready and going early B.S that seems to be common practice here it can really start to grind....

But also Qatar is first world in somethings like some medical facilities and its impressive (but sempty buildings).
It has slave labour, and that same uneducated slave labour (mostly) are cooking you your meals (higher chance of food poisioning here) and building your houses (oh ooo); and probably ,making you frustrated when your driving around.... not to mention the first world native culture.

They do have a direction (this country and QR) but my god, its mentality is 2nd world...... but at least there trying.....

If you come here expecting things to be efficient YOU WILL be disapointed, frustrated and down right in awe at the level of inefficiency

Come here for one thing only IMHO; Setting yourself up financially, gaining an endorsement if you dont already have one and then seeing where your options lay after the contract ends.
It must tell people something....surely, that people leave this place with more than normal attriction rates comparatively!?? its not all QR's fault (lol)

320 = You work min rest...... maybe get 2 days of in a row...... sometimes 3 but not alot of them and you will be quiet tired to be going adventuring to another timezone for fun. Simple solution for the managers that read this is give an average of 9 or 10 days off a month for the 320 fleet and watch the moral grow.... and the fleet stabilise ....my god is it that hard

330 = better rosters..... avg 12 to 14 Off days... but trips are bigger so your away from family in chunks of time but around them more for Days off.

777 = avg 12 - 15 off days...... same as 330. paid to sleep ;-)

hope this helps people. Dont put the wool over your eyes and buy all the $$$$'s and new planes this and that..... theres more to it than that in the long run.