PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quito: What's in store?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2012, 03:49
Gallinazo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quito: What's in store?

So yeah.

Hello, first post.

Brief introduction; I am 'on the line' on A320/319's as F/O, and fly for a company based in Quito, Ecuador.

Yesterday I got my hands on the first publication of the data and procedures for the new Quito Airport. For those of you out there who fly to Quito, you might find this interesting. For reference only, I concocted this image of the Quito area and a sample of the VOR/DME approach to RWY 36. There are (presently) only two approach procedures, both very similar, the difference being that the other one is ILS/DME. I was thinking of scanning the plate(s) and posting them, but I think I am being naughty enough as it is.

The opening of the airport is scheduled for February, 2013. Whether it meets that deadline or not remains to be seen, as the previous deadline was for October 2012, but it became evident it was not going to be, about two months ago.

Some characteristics;
Runway: 36/18
Threshold Elevations: 36 - 7910 ft, 18 - 7776 ft
Slope: 1% (36 down, 18 up).
Dimensions: 4098 x 45 meters

The political blurb has been stating to the public that the new airport will enable airlines to carry more passengers and cargo out of Quito, as it is "400 meters" lower, and the runway is "nearly 1000 meters longer" than Quito's current airport.

<Ahem> I have my own views and perspectives...

What do you think? I honestly would like to know.

Whatever it is, it is sure to be as scenic. Happy landings (and take offs), all.