PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR take-off minima for light twins?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2012, 02:37
AdamFrisch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends where you are. In FAA land takeoff minimas are zero/zero for part 91 ops. Now, I wouldn't recommend it, but it's legal. In Europe, as you mentioned, the minimas seem to be higher (which is good). Do they do a distinction between commercial and private flights in this regard?

In my limited experience, the critical moment with twins are just at and after rotation and say up to maybe 300-400ft. Especially on a Vx climb. An engine failure there and you need to be on your game big time. After that it gets much easier and much safer. I'd still say it's safer than a single if one does everything right, but can go t*ts up very quickly if done incorrectly. But here's the thing with twins - you can always pull back on good engine and it will be the same as having a single. This is something they never teach in multi engine training and it's the big save-all from nastiness. Obviously, this eats altitude, but it's better to land straight and level ahead than spinning into the ground at Vmc forcing it around. Same goes for all that avoid-turns-into-the-dead-engine-stuff they teach - if you have altitude, there's nothing wrong with reducing on the good engine and turn any which way you want or fly below Vmc.

I am blessed in the 520 to have a huge draggy rudder that will keep it straight down to about 67 KIAS, which is not far above the 56 KIAS full flap stall speed. That's normally well below all my takeoff speeds (I tend to rotate at around 75-80 KIAS) except for short field Vx, so I try to keep those to a minimum. Even though they are fun to do on long tarmac just to impress the tower guys and ask for an "early turn".

Last edited by AdamFrisch; 23rd Sep 2012 at 02:49.