PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR take-off minima for light twins?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2012, 23:23
Contacttower
Fly Conventional Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IFR take-off minima for light twins?

Recently having got back into flying twins more often the question of sensible IFR take off minimums comes to mind for light twins that typically have ~200fpm climb rates engine out.

I believe for public transport the CAA specifies 600ft cloud ceiling and 1500m vis for twins with an engine out climb rate of 150ft/min and below and realistically for a non-turbo light twin that seems like a reasonable starting point considering a departure from an airfield where terrain and obstacles are not an issue. For an airfield with a lot of surrounding terrain, say in the Alps for example it might be wise to raise this to perhaps 1500ft or more to reduce the risk of hitting something if one had an engine failure in the first 1000ft of flight and to allow one to deal with the situation visually.

Flying singles I've generally tried to avoid departing IMC with 1000ft or less ceilings and essentially taken the attitude that if the worst happened in IMC all one can do is trim for best glide, keep control and head for where one believes to be the best landing spot.

With flying a twin though one has doubled one's chance of an engine failure and probably added more inertia and a higher stall speed into the mix as well...it's quite possible that in some circumstances, particularly with high terrain involved and operating from higher airfields the safety benefit of the second engine has been eroded to the point where if one departs into IMC at low level one is probably more likely to have an engine failure and then crash into something while trying to return to the field than one is likely to experience an engine failure in the first place in a single. If one does have that second engine though one might as well make a decent stab at returning to the runway. Hence why I'm thinking in more depth for light twins than I would for singles about sensible take off minimums...

What do other people think are sensible take-off minimums for twins that after an EFATO might, if light, just about manage a 2.5% climb gradient....?