PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FlyBe - 6
Thread: FlyBe - 6
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2012, 23:04
JobsaGoodun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We're in the middle of the biggest economic downturn that this (and many other EU) countries have seen, coupled with record fuel prices. In addition, with the new owners at LGW putting huge price rises in for airlines using the airport it is no wonder that you're seeing changes from Flybe (LGW's third largest slot holder) and very little by way of expansion.

All of our purse strings are being tightened through current austerity measures and I think that for many, the priorities have changed. The weekend breaks that many used to take have become disposable to protect the annual summer holiday. This is most likely why Flybe is adjusting services on domestic routes, and looking to operate EXTNCE which has returned, and EXTBCN is which is due to commence.

I can understand that the rhetoric of airlines is to start routes and promise many more but this can only happen if the new routes can be supported and at present, I just don't think they can. If ABZ can't support Flybe on LGW - a very well established route then there certainly isn't the investment there for untried routes.

Richard - this post isn't geared at you personally so please don't take offence. I guess I'm just trying to balance the argument that you and many others support.

What I would say is that when you look at the likes of Ryanair or BMIbaby (RIP) and examine just how many times they started bases (BHD/MME/CWL etc), only to pull them entirely at a later date, at least we can be grateful that Flybe continues to offer local jobs to local people with a good job security in the regions.

Last edited by JobsaGoodun; 22nd Sep 2012 at 23:06.