PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - News of NEO
Thread: News of NEO
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2012, 12:40
Nigerian Expat Outlaw

Nigerian In Law

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Bright Light Is There !

Thought I'd post a short update on my situation. I was discharged from hospital again after a near six week stay yesterday evening.

The operation to free up my bowel was a great success and the surgeon who carried out the procedure had only one regret; that he could not remove the primary tumour as it has blood vessels which feed the bowel running through it. If he had cut it out he would have "killed" my small bowel. So I have some more chemotherapy to undergo.

The pain, both internal and external, from the operation is very acute but I have been assured that will pass as it heals up. I am controlling it to some extent with morphine sulphate tablets which unfortunately means I drop off to sleep at the drop of a hat, sometimes without even realising it !

But am now eating a soft diet which will slowly develop into a normal one, something which was simply impossible a couple of weeks ago. Having lost 65 pounds I need to build myself up in order to withstand the remaining chemotherapy cycles.

The good news is that the surgeon tells me that the primary tumour has shrunk from a full size rugby ball to a walnut. With 5 cycles remaining the light at the end of the tunnel is mathematically as bright as it can be under the circumstances.

Once again, best wishes and thanks to all who have contacted me or left messages, and please please please think about getting a scan as I advised earlier.

NEO