PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NVFR Operations during the Fire Season?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2012, 12:20
MakeItHappenCaptain

Location: Hollister, Hilo, Pago Pago, Norfolk Is., Brisbane, depending which day of the week it is...
Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts
Trent, my offer was in response to George's assertions.

George, my sympathies as you have well and truly been led down the wrong path, but what do you expect from a school who insists on blasting everyone who taxis past the 28R runup bay (because ALL aircraft have to be pointed into the wind, not just tailwheel or flight manual specific...ffs, a 172 doesn't get THAT hot!) and insists on blinding everyone with their strobes while taxiing around at night.
AIRMANSHIP, kiddies.

Please PM me if you would like to organise a sit down at AF one day, George. I would be more than happy to go over the rules and regs to satisfy any queries or misunderstandings you might have, no charge.

Aimpoint, I feel perfectly justified in getting up on my soapbox when I see no end of bull**** being taught to students these days by instructors with no commercial experience and hourbuilding being their sole motivation for being in this branch of the industry. Those that actually put the effort in have my full support and best wishes.

I said nothing about solo NVFR navigation (because NVFR CCTs are the only activity requiring a rating that you may be permitted to conduct without actually holding the rating - hence the solo stamp in the logbook).
The first part of the quoted comment was sarcastic. A reference to instructors telling students the wrong thing, actually.

From not counting the four hours they have off when rostering in excess of eleven hour duties to this thread about test flying NVFR to see if have the required visibility, this all relates to instructors not knowing their stuff. The standard in this industry needs to improve.

I was a junior burger grade three once, but I made the effort to reference the rules when asked questions, not guess or quote what I heard. I've made mistakes, been corrected and learnt from that. Any commercial student I've trained knows my habits wrt referencing the AIPs and also knows I reinforce knowing the rules as being one of the best ways to demonstrate to an employer that you aren't going to risk their AOC and they should be hiring you.

It also means you know when you are and are not putting your license or career at risk by breaking rules. In CASA's eyes, ignorance is no defence.

Aroa,
Mate, you can't shop around like that, you are better off getting it in writing than using a "but he said" defence.

As for overwater,

AIP ENR 1.1 Para 62. Please note the mention of "land areas suitable for an emergency landing", not just "land".

Last edited by MakeItHappenCaptain; 22nd Sep 2012 at 15:24.