PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Visiting a school, what should I be looking for?
Old 22nd Sep 2012, 11:58
flystrathclyde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ACS Flight Training, Perth and Cumbernauld

Hi Gordon,

One of our members pointed out this post. I will firstly clarify that I operate the flight training at Perth and Cumbernauld so the advice from BigGrecian is correct, especially in my post!

I am guessing you have an interest in Commercial Training....otherwise the first question is why not look at a more local school!? If this is correct you will find the main Commercial Training is done during the week and with weekends being so busy for PPL training you will get a better introduction by arranging a visit during the week if possible; otherwise arrange a time at the weekend to ensure you get a proper meeting with those involved.

Cumbernauld is tied into Perth for the initial training if required so there are options.

As BigGrecian says, speak to students (both PPL and Commercial), speak to the instructors, and if you get the chance while at Perth speak to the resident CAA Examiner.

Look at the websites of anywhere you are considering and 'look for the hidden costs!' if there are any. Ferry flights for exams, ground school, landing fees, approach fees, etc are often not quoted.

Get a back seat BEFORE committing to anywhere. DO NOT pay up front. Speak to as many ex-students as possible; INSIST they tell you any of the bad points - they may be trivial but you need to make the right choice.

Look at any additional support available (e.g. AST at Perth provide engineering training onsite and are happy to help directly with the current commercial students as well as offering the ATPL ground school onsite.

But of a sales pitch but hopefully you also pick up one good points to consider,