PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aurela (Operating for Monarch) off the runway at BHX
Old 22nd Sep 2012, 06:46
tchaikovsky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this thread is better off in the spotters/enthusiasts/wannabe section.

Absolutely its nothing new. I once flew AGP-LTN on a Futura 737 on behalf of Monarch. Flight and cabin crew all Spanish; in-flight meals definitely not English (whatever it was!). I think the crew weren't totally familiar with LTN as we went pretty much the full length rather than the typical Taxiway Charlie turnoff (landing 26), having to make a 360 degree turn at the end of 08. Never had to do that before.
Do you really think familiarity dictates when a pilot will vacate his aircraft from the runway? We (pilots) are provided with aerodrome charts which tell us the length of runway available for landing. We are also provided with a set of tables telling us what distance will be required to stop the aircraft using retardation devices available.

This is a bit of a non event. The quality of the contributions to this thread confirm that. Yes, this incident did have potential to be a different ending, but this is also the case with the tens of other daily occurrences that happen (check out avherald.com!). The reason it made the news is simply because it caused the closure of the runway.

Is it good PR for MON? Probably not.

Last edited by tchaikovsky; 22nd Sep 2012 at 06:48.