PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NVFR Operations during the Fire Season?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2012, 06:23
Trent 972

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
George, Your previous post begs an interesting discussion. I would offer an alternative point, that the privileges and limitations (CAO 40.2.1 sect 13) of a current MECIR does confer the ability to operate NVFR IF the restrictions of section 14 re Nav Quals have been met.
Section 14 does not say that you must have received special training for 'Night Nav' only that you must have experienced it (as either PIC or ICUS)
Aeronautical Experience. The pilot’s aeronautical experience shall include 10 hours cross-country flight time using night V.F.R. procedures including a minimum of 2 navigation exercises (of at least 300 nautical miles or 3 hours duration), as either pilot in command or in command under supervision. Each exercise shall exceed a distance of 100 nautical miles from the point of departure and shall provide at least 1 landing at an aerodrome other than that of departure, located in an area remote from extensive ground lighting.
I believe one could mount a good case to say that you have had 'the experience of operating visually at night'. It does not say you must have been trained VFR at night.
The limitation to this exercise is of course that you can only operate NVFR while you hold a valid/current MECIR.
As always I offer this reasoning on the basis that I am not my wife, who is 'Always Right'.
You can say whatever you like as slowly as you like but it doesn't make you any 'righter' or 'wronger'

Last edited by Trent 972; 22nd Sep 2012 at 06:32.