PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Statins - miracle or menace?
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2012, 19:25
gingernut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kind words, Landflaps, for the record I am a nurse, albeit working at an advanced level.

I guess what's happening on here is a display of passion, not always a bad thing, but as Bad Medicine points out, it's about playing the ball, not the player.

My passion for this sort of thing arises from having to deal with the scourge of arteriosclerosis on a daily basis. When I started my training many moons ago, families were destroyed by diability and death, caused by strokes and heart disease, (often with the victim being about my age.)

Things seem to have changed, for the better, and there are various reasons for this-people are smoking less, eating more fruit and veg, exercising more etc, but I still reckon statin's play a large part in both primary, and secondary prevention. Systematic, organised health care has also helped.

Make no mistake, drugs companies are ruthless, and I'm one of their biggest critics, but (my) very objective observations, convince me that statin's work.

This view point may change as we discover more, but that's okay, that's the nature of the beast.

Good health.