PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2012, 18:05
Tabby Badger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Big Jets at Juhu

Danny,

Having had my interest piqued, I went looking.

http://oldphotosbombay.blog--spot.com/2010/12/bombay-airport-juhu-and-tata.html

Replace the stars with [frustratingly, Prune does not allow the word blog--spot (remove the dashes to get the forbidden word)]
(I know not why Prune forbids entering a link to a
blog--spot address. Perhaps somebody can enlighten - is there a rule I'm not aware of?).

According to this site, there were three incidents of jet airliners landing at Juhu by mistake:

• On 15 July 1953, a BOAC Cometlanded at Juhu Aerodrome instead of Mumbai's much largerSanta Cruz International Airport. The aircraft was flown out some nine days later.
  • On 28 May 1968, the pilot of a Garuda Indonesia Convair 990 also mistook Juhu Aerodrome for Santacruz Airport and tried to land his aircraft. It overshot the runway falling just short of the traffic road ahead and several residential buildings when its nose wheel got stuck in a ditch at the end of the runway. All passengers survived.
  • On 24 December 1972, Japan Airlines Flight 472, operated by Douglas DC-8-53also landed at Juhu Aerodrome instead of Santacruz Airport. The aircraft overran the end of the runway and was damaged beyond economic repair.
The page is well worth a look for the historical record. and some nice photographs

And please, keep talking (typing) - you have my full attention, sir.

TB

Last edited by Tabby Badger; 21st Sep 2012 at 18:25. Reason: Broken link (Forbidden word)