PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - helicopters and sand...risk??
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2012, 15:42
victor papa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please make sure you and your engineer know and apply the limits and procedures as stated for that specific helicopter type. They all differ and I know for a fact the EC manuals on the 350 and 130 are now very specific limiting the amount of repairs when and where and how and everything is a repair. More and more problems arising from touch ups and blade tape coming off causing vibration than a ugly looking blade due to a bit of paint missing on a allowable area. A blade expert from EC once said to me dont look at them when they standing still and think they need repair just because the black polyutherane is visible(paint flakes and missing paint allowed acc to manual)-what do they look like at flight idle? We often find problems after a couple of "paint touch ups" due incorrect materials used interfering with the chemicals used by the manufacturer which leads to various problems. Sometimes if the manual states so leave them even if ugly and they will wear to a allowable point and stabilise there-ugly but working perfectly without interference and the composites and protective strips of poly happy. Blakmax, pls correct any statement as I am no composite expert and only knows they are sometimes best left alone to the experts!