PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAA MILITARY AIR SAFETY CONFERENCE
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2012, 15:35
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Dervish

That's the one. The reason why the family sought the transcript was because MoD wrote to her a couple of years ago still blaming the PM; effectively denying the existence of the evidence and reports he'd submitted to investigators. They and their MP asked the BoI President (still serving as a 1*) to consider recommending re-convening. At first he was sympathetic, then suddenly changed his tone when (presumably) the implications became clear (senior officers and officials lying and withholding evidence).

However, the episode did serve to force MoD's hand and they revealed the aircraft were not serviceable, contrary to what was claimed by the BoI and in court. And, that the RTS was deeply flawed due to unverified "read across". In fact, very similar failures to Mull of Kintyre many years earlier, illustrating lessons had not been learned. These failures, and this evidence, would have explained all the unanswered questions posed by the BoI.

What I found particularly disappointing, as an ardent supporter of Boscombe Down, was the evidence given in Court by one of their former (but still serving) test aircrew. When asked by the Coroner if he had "anything relevant to add", he omitted to mention his MAR recommendations report which snagged an installation as unsafe, and the pressure he'd been put under to withdraw the report (i.e. leave the aircraft unsafe). I know he reads this forum and probably realises his failure to stand firm at the time led directly to 2 other deaths (although I think the greater blame lies with our 2* of the day who ruled it was acceptable to leave aircraft functionally unsafe, while making a false declaration it was safe).

Yes, 1.3VStall, it gets infinitely worse. But it needs good men to come forward, otherwise the likes of me are dismissed as liars. As I was in 2005 when Ingram was told of "systemic airworthiness failures". Despite the Nimrod Review and formation of the MAA, MoD still maintain I was wrong; which is utterly bizarre. BTW, the MAA are fully aware of this case and, like me, are waiting to see what the families decide to do. Unfortunately, legal action costs lots.