PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAA MILITARY AIR SAFETY CONFERENCE
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2012, 10:37
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
A couple have tried. The last time, because there was irrefutable evidence, MoD's strategy was simply not to comment. If MoD doesn't comment, one way or another, the story goes away as far as the editor is concerned.

The same evidence was presented to H-C and Lord Philip. As you know, both noted the respective aircraft were not airworthy. The former spelled it out, the latter made a more oblique reference. But the press don't report that this calls into question the entire MoD process, over the past 20+ years. And MoD/MAA hide behind the H-C claim the problems only started in 1998.

However, it must be said that various Coroners are supportive and one has recently arranged for the audio tapes of a 2007 inquest to be handed to a family. This is one of the cases where MoD flatly refused to reveal ANY information, unlike Nimrod and, eventually, Chinook, where they handed over the evidence of unairworthiness. This is deeply suspicious and makes me wonder what they have to hide about this 2003 crash. (Same case as the one in my first paragraph).

The reason there is no record of the inquest is because the Coroner's stenographer posts had been chopped as a savings. So, if the families want a record, they have to arrange for forensic analysis of very poor recordings (in hand) and the acquisition of bespoke audio codecs owned by the Corner's Service (they quoted £600). This beggars belief, but luckily it is being carried out free of charge with the software provided by a well known professional mastering house. I submit that families should not have to go to such lengths to discover the truth. BTW, the first two days have been completed and the constant misleading of the Court, by omission and commission, is appalling. It will be up to the families what happens with the evidence. But as one bereaved father shouted out in Court, "What a fix!"