PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How 'safe' is private flying?!
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2012, 18:53
Olympia 463

(I can't get the quote thingy to work on my MAC!!)

"Other than a ground incident you are not likely to survive a plane crash! They tend to be fatal!
I have now lost 7 pilot friends most very experienced and some who you would least expect to get killed!"

I'm a glider pilot (retired) and I can't agree with the above comments. I glid (?) for about 20 years, and as you know every landing is a 'controlled crash' in a glider. I took part in about 2200 of these!

In the time I was flying (a lot of it instructing) I saw several accidents from which the participant walked away somewhat shaken, but largely undamaged. The only fatals were a pilot who tried inverted flying having had no dual on this mode of flight, and a tug pilot who didn't keep a good lookout and hit a glider on his way down from a tow. The glider pilot survived (he was was wearing a chute, the tuggie wasn't).

I can't understand the parent who thought he would need to insure himself to fly in a light aircraft. When I took up flying I notified my insurer who said if I was just gliding it I would not need extra cover. He still didn't need more premiums when I became an instructor.

I do most heartily concur with the person who wrote that he was determined to avoid possible death by taking sensible precautions. I was taught early on that 'aeroplanes bite fools' and I never forgot that.