PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Truth about working for Emirates.
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2012, 18:46
Emma Royds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like with many things in life, you find different points of view among a group of people. To anyone thinking of coming, Dubai is what you make it. The happier guys along with their family members that are here are the ones that have embraced Dubai and have called it home. You have got to make that fundamental 'mind shift' for you to be happy here or else you will end up commuting or will want to leave, regardless of who you work for out here. There is a lot of bureaucracy and 'job creation' in this part of the world and getting things done can sometimes be painfully slow and frustrating but I have a far better quality of life here than I had back in the UK.

One thing that has given me an element of concern is if you buy property and you loose your medical then what would you do then? If you can stay gainfully employed on the ground then that is a bonus but if not and you had to leave, then you are at the mercy of the bank allowing you to leave the UAE and settling the outstanding mortgage from wherever you ended up moving to? I have heard the latter happen on one occasion to one lucky chap but I would consider that the exception rather then the rule? Especially considering how uneasy they are with cancelling your visa with outstanding debt, still to pay in the country.

Last edited by Emma Royds; 20th Sep 2012 at 21:42.