PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Talking to ATC
Thread: Talking to ATC
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2012, 16:20
Talkdownman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fuji Abound
Checron - I am not so sure about assuming they will have your position - they may, or may not, depending on the service they are providing. If OCAS they are more than likely to transfer you to D and D anyway.
Chevvron was a 'they' for over 30 years. I served some time with him, albeit a shorter sentence until being released for good behaviour. Squawking FIS traffic (Basic now) enabled us to cope with sudden emergencies with notable success without wasting time transferring to D & D. Problem was that some FIS squawkers ran away with the idea that they were getting a radar service and gave us a flea in our ear when something unexpected went past them. Subsequently some of us didn't bother squawking the FIS only (non-radar service) traffic just to get the message across that they weren't getting radar but it made the tiddler-minding 'Duty of Care' more difficult. Most LARS ATCOs worth their salt will be keeping a much closer eye than the Service Level Agreement would permit. The art is doing it without muddying the waters of the SLAs.

Originally Posted by taxistaxing
if you're trainsiting over someones ATZ at 2200 feet technically you're 'outside controlled airspace' but it would be rather daft not to give them a call.
ATZs within Class G airspace are, of course, not CAS, only regulated airspace (Rule 45 refers). Years ago ATSOCA was called ATSORA (and, no, it's not shredded suet...) being outside regulated airspace thus not encompassing ATZs either. It was changed in order to not exclude ATZs for reasons I never really understood.