PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 7192 D3
Thread: 7192 D3
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2003, 17:44
no sig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
super aviator

College Money spinner?, probably on commission? Clearly, you haven't taken the time consider the previous comments I have made on this forum, nor I suspect have you bothered to read the CAA's view in the relevant FODCOM's try 18/2001. Read back for the history.

Refresher in JAROPS1...

JAROPS 1.205 requires that an airline, 'shall ensure that all personnel assigned to, or directly involved in, ground operations and flight operations are properly instructed, have demonstrated their abilities in their particular duties and are aware of their responsibilities and the relationship of such duties to the operation as a whole'

The CAA's published view is that training is the responsibility of the airline and that ICAO Doc 7192 provides a sound basis for that training. Forget any idea of a licence; the above is as good as you're going to get for the foreseeable future. Why not instead, recognise an opportunity exists here for airline's to align their ops training with international standards. It also provides wannabes with a starting place.

Few airlines in the UK have the capabilities to set up a training course to meet Doc 7192, nor have they the resource to send people off for months at a time - so a distance learning course is a good way to go. Compare prices as you splitter suggests and you'll find it’s not that expensive compared with full time courses. However, if you want to work for a US or FAA based carrier then off you go, do and FAA licence. But, as good as it is, it is not as comprehensive as doc 7192 and it does not cover JAROPS.

Airline's have the above responsibilities, but YOU out there also have a choice, either sit back and wait for your airline to train you or not as the case may be, or grasp the mettle and take responsibility for improving the standards in your trade and push for the training to doc 7192 however you get it.

The fact is that because the UK CAA in the past has never set a standard for your training you have been left out in the cold in this respect. Little test, hands up all those who can point to an ops officer training syllabus in Part D of your ops manual? Not many I suspect, yet you work in a very technical and safety related environment and make difficult decisions day in day out which affect the operation of your airline's business. You can cost your airline dear by not having the lknowledge or experience to make the right decision or anticipate a problem arising in time to mitigate the negative consequences. There is a sound business argument for training ops staff to the 7192 level.

Also, ever wondered why you feel you are not trusted to make that decision without calling the Chief Pilot or Ops Manager? Or pilots tend to disregard your suggestions or ideas? I will tell you it is in many case because they know you guys & gals haven't had any formal training in flight ops subjects and are not in a position to make the best informed decision because you lack the knowledge to do so. Sorry, but that’s the truth of it. And please, I’ve been around too long to argue the above - call me arrogant if you wish.

super aviator, I have nothing to gain here except the satisfaction of seeing ops standards improve in the UK. I've worked as a flight dispatcher in the US and know the benefits of a licence; I know that dispatchers are respected because they are trained to the same level of the aircrew. I also know that if you have completed the 7192 syllabus, wherever you do it, that you will be able to work in the flight ops environment competently and with the foundation knowledge to cope with aircrew on their level in your job, and will be able to make much better informed decisions.

I hope you splitter is wrong, we need a one-tier system, that is, all ops officer have completed the training to the above standards.