PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kabul Madness
Thread: Kabul Madness
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2012, 13:53
Golf_Seirra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are always two points of view.....

In my opinion the salaries should be adleast between what Dyncorp pays and the helicopter chaps...i.e. $ 750 per day. Some have argued that the only reason SA based companies have got the contracts is because they are cheap. That certainly is not the case with Balmoral.

There is a lot of fat in their contract which will more than likely have to be spent on alternative accommodation. With regard to NAC around $375 and Solenta at about $300, the figures do not add up. NAC are offering $225 ( captains we are talking here ) for Yemen.

It seems the contracting company bean counters have got together and had a round table discussion on reducing salaries. It is high time the guys stick together and do a mine workers strike. If people are going to go back to Afghan, you better make sure it's going to keep the wife smiling. I also suggest companies rethink the 3 x annual salary life payout.

At $ 400 per day on a 6/6 rotation, that only makes it R 48,000 per month on month salary. Certainly not worth it for the risk considering what you can take home at SAX if you can get in.

Our first priority is to open up the local market and second is to make it clear to companies that as professionals, we deserve a fair salary.

There are certainly just as many other dodgy spots where SA companies operate and security risk assessment needs to be more than just IED's or suicide attacks.

Yes, people will undercut, pay for ratings and generally stab each other in the back, but we need to find some common ground and learn from this sad event.

Anyway, fire away.....just my two cents worth....