PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 4 Ryanair aircraft declare fuel emergency at same time
Old 20th Sep 2012, 13:01
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Am not surprised to see the findings of the report and am pleased to see that the crews are without any blame.

So now it becomes the responsability of EASA to "think" for the pilots?
The very thought of that fills me with dread!

There is a difference between doing "things right" (robotically following a set of rules) compared to doing the "right thing". (The former is management, the latter leadership).

Technically all the rules were complied with. It is necessary to have rules to establish the minimum requirements but as pilots we also need to have "original thought" to secure a safe and sensible operation. I don't blame or criticize the individuals concerned because they have, unwittingly, been programmed by the system.

If the environment you work in has become overly structured and regimented then without realising it you personally can stop looking at the world with a contrarian mindset.

If you look at the psychology of "Conformity amongst groups" you find that if you are the only one with an opposing view you become very reluctant to express that view and just "go along with the crowd". If a group of you get together with an opposing view it is much easier to get your point across and change behaviour.

I mention this aspect because Ryanair pilots have no group representation (aka a Union). This means individuals play safe and conform with the "party line". This, in my opinion, can spill over into Flight Operations. There may be no direct threat to carrying excess fuel but the culture of the Company could make you feel vulnerable if you elect to do so.

Experience also comes into this. The veterans who have flown for many decades with several (too many!) Companies in many different theatres of operation would have no hesitation in loading an extra hours holding if they feel it is necessary and would be quite happy to argue their case. Those who lack experience and have only operated with the one Company will, apart from the odd exception, feel reluctant to do so.

So the issue to me is not the legitimacy and compliance with the "rules" but having the confidence to make the correct decisions without any fear of doing so.

Last edited by fireflybob; 20th Sep 2012 at 13:16.