PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAA MILITARY AIR SAFETY CONFERENCE
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2012, 12:23
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
1.3vStall

CPS - no, not directly.

RAF Provost Marshall, House of Commons Defence Select Committee, Thames Valley Police Chief Constable, Public Accounts Committee, various MPs, Prime Minister, 5 successive Ministers for the Armed Forces (the last time with the MAA present), MoD's PUS - Yes. None took any action and they continue to condone all that I describe. Now and again we "win" a case, such as Nimrod, Chinook, Hercules; but they don't seem to want to understand that the act of "winning" should lead to them overturning their previous rulings. Again, the compartmentalisation problem so typical of MoD.

JTO - As you say, what it needs is a prosecution. Making a false declaration has always been an offence - it is stated in letters of delegation; however, this was challenged by the senior officers I mention and Ministers have upheld their right to issue orders to make a false declaration, and confirmed it is an offence to refuse. This basic contradiction is the problem. I believe the specific offence regarding airworthiness is actually unnecessary, but does serve to emphasis the point. Now there is a new Min(AF) I'll be asking if he agrees with his 5 predecessors. The people who will prepare his reply will be the same old names and will no doubt advise him, yet again, to reject my submission.

Thanks for your interest. I'll let you know how I get on.