PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rocky Mountain Helicopters RMH
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2012, 03:19
Old shooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RMH

I flew with some of the best of Rocky Mountain's pilots. Some one mentioned Larry Daul. He once punched me 4 ft into the snow, when his rotor wash sent an old aspen down on my head. One of the few times I wore a hard hat. He hovered above looking down at me, as I gathered my wits, I could hear him saying over the radio, are you OK, are you OK. I was.

The first time I layed eyes on Doug Farfel, was at "the airport" in Heber City. Myself and three drillers were walking up to our ship, a lovely Lama, Doug was there. I asked him where was the pilot? Taking him as the swamper. He just smiled, stuck his hand out and said " hi I'm Doug I'm flying for you today. 95 pounds of raw energy, bouncing up and down like a jumping bean, or maybe a coffee bean, or something. Two or three years later I went to his wedding in Durango Co.

Flew with Walt Tausch, always cool and calm, I guess most were anyway. Had a hand painted cartoon on his Army helmet, the only one I ever saw him wear, a vulture sitting in a tree saying, " patience my ass, I'm going to kill someone".
I was in the Crossroads bar in Heber the night he met his bride to be. I think he married her. Real nice guy.

John Cooley was one of the "crew". He was our pilot in '77-78 my first year in seismic work. My first year out of high school. .Long time ago.

Tom Kupcho, Carl Rosapepe, Skip Fisk , Mike McGill, Dave Fitz. Had a foot fetish as I recall.

The days of my youth, some of the bests times of my life.

Old Shooter