PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Sharjah
Thread: RAF Sharjah
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2012, 05:34
bob shayler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R.A.F. Sharjah

I served in Sharjah from October 1969 - June 1970 in the Army and have many fond memories of my time there, the open air cinema, swimming in Khan Creek, the char wallah, Joe Brown and the Bruvvers putting on a show etc. but one sad memory as well of the cemetary near the swimming pool knowing that their families had only a remote chance of ever visiting the graves of their loved ones.
When I met my future wife four years later she showed me a photo of her fathers grave and I recognized it immediately as the cemetary in Sharjah. Her father died there in October 1964 when he worked for the M.O.D. as a foreman in the M.P.B.W.
We managed to visit his grave twice in 1985 and 86 when I served with the Kuwait Liaison Team and by then the cemetary was in a sad state and the camp itself was in the process of being demolished.
Over the following years it became more and more neglected until we received a communication in 2010 that the Church (St. Martins) was being extended and the cemetary was being reconfigured with all the civilians being reinturred in a mass grave with a memorial and the military graves being adopted by the C.W.G.C. Chris's father and a Captain Bramhall were to be reinterred with the Military section in new graves.
I have some photo's of the British voluteers refurbishing the Military graves but cannot attach them at the moment.
Does anyone know if the cemetary refurbishment has been completed yet,
Regards,
Bob

Last edited by bob shayler; 20th Sep 2012 at 18:22.