PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision) 2
Old 17th Sep 2012, 19:10
Lizz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad eyes and licence types - info please?

I thought I'd pop a post on here regarding my eye sight. I'm looking to hopefully do NPPL which I shouldn't have a problem with, I drive after all. (My general health is good)
My question lies in the other licences which I'm afraid the names of escape me right now, not fully clued up just yet! But basically, I don't want to have to rule out (as long as everything goes well) going commerical and flying for an airline.

I don't really understand my contact lens prescription but my right eye is 6/6-3 and my left is 6/60 and I know that's terrible!!!
I've tried looking at the CAA website but couldn't really make 100% sense of it. I've debated looking into getting my eyes sorted, fear and a lack of money have stood in my way and knowing now I can more than likely get the NPPL I'm ok to put it on the back burner although have considered going for a free consultation to see what's said.

My optician said they probably wouldn't do anything with the left because it's bad and because my brain uses my right for seeing and the left for preriferal vision only through years (22 or so) of only having 1 good eye. And he also said they'd probably be funny about doing anything with the right as it wouldn't leave me with a good eye.
However when I put my prescription into the laser eye surgury companies website it says something can be done.

Really, anyone who is/has been in a similar boat, any advice?
Thank you in advance, I really appreciate people giving me all this advice when I know so little