PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Ambassador killed in Libya
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2012, 15:42
The Helpful Stacker

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
PTT,

Your implication (indicated by your disagreement) is that because they are religious then they are likely to have medical issues. The logical error is to assume that the link is directly between strong religious belief and mental health issues rather than there being other factors which may cause such events (e.g. poverty). While it is possible that some of them do have mental health issues, it is not a logical step to say that they do, nor is it a logical step to link it to religiousness.
I'm not sure how you drew all that from my comment but it is completely incorrect.

I wasn't stating that people with strong religious beliefs have mental health issues, just that the actions of people with strong religious beliefs have parallels with indicators used within the mental health profession to diagnose those who do.

If you are trying to draw an implication from my comments then it could as easily be religious people can have mental health issues also and that such issues could be mis-diagnosed as being 'religious belief'.

To add to my comments though, the question of whether religious belief is a type of mental health issue though is open to debate. There was an interesting meta-study conducted into religion and mental health a while back by Charles H. Hackney which, among other things, questioned just this point.

Last edited by The Helpful Stacker; 17th Sep 2012 at 16:00. Reason: Spelling