PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - None standard instrument approaches.
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2012, 12:37
Contacttower
Fly Conventional Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was more of the case that it was in a patch of mist and you couldn't see it.
It seems that was the essential point that we were discussing, the OP claiming that it wasn't possible to see the runway mist or no mist...without having been there it's hard to tell. One poster pointed out that mathematically given the ridge height and the MDA it should have been...but who knows...

I had never come across and airport where one wouldn't necessarily see the runway environment from the MAP but having seen these Norwegian plates I guess that assumption goes out the window.

The question I would like to know the answer to is whether it is written down anywhere that you don't have to see the runway environment with certain airports (from the point of view of a private operator with no special dispensations etc) in Norway, or indeed anywhere else, whether you at least need to see the lead in lighting or what the deal is?

The obvious thing to do though if one is unsure, as a private operator, is to phone up the airport and get a briefing from a local pilot who will know the answer before going because while inbalance's thread was interesting, without a local who knows the airport in question well we are all kind of guessing exactly what you are meant to see at the MAP.

All somewhat uncharted territory for me who usually flies into airports with approaches that lead directly to the runway.