PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - None standard instrument approaches.
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2012, 10:01
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But in several cases you can not see the airfield environment from any part of the approach up to and including the MAPt.
I've been reading the other and this thread with interest. I hold no IR, but I have always assumed that the instrument procedure (except the ILS cat 3 autoland) will take you in sight of the runway, or at least the "runway environment", so you proceed visually from there. (Whether that's assisted by an autopilot or other automation is, as far as I'm concerned, a moot point.)

If the instrument procedure ends in line with the runway, you obviously have some lower limits, compared to the situation where some maneuvering is to be done. Fair enough.

But now it appears there are several places where the MAPt is at a point where it is physically impossible to see the runway or runway environment, even in CAVOK weather. Because, as this particular example shows, there is a ridge in the way. (Does anybody have a few more examples of these, by the way, for comparison?)

My first question when reading this was: Why the heck do they use a MAPt that's so low that the airport is hidden behind the ridge? Why not use a higher MAPt so that you stand a fighting chance of seeing the runway? But of course that might have been done because a higher MAPt also requires a higher cloud base. Duh.

But upon reading this thread, I now realize that the question is more like above. At the MAPt you are out of the clouds (but possibly still in a reduced-viz situation). What criteria do you use to continue visually to the airfield, or to fly the missed approach? Somewhere hidden in the AIP is a mention of four lead-in lights but they're not on the approach plate as far as I can tell. And even if they were mentioned, what criteria do you apply then? Should you see one? Two? All four of them? There is no information in the AIP whatsoever, as far as I can see.

Furthermore, you don't have the airfield in sight but the criteria (whatever they are) for continuing visually have been met. You turn left at the MAPt, cross the ridge and find the valley beyond covered in mist, with the airfield invisible. What is your plan? It is impossible to get back onto the approach and fly the missed approach without some seriously fancy maneuvering, but there's also no other easy way out that's properly defined as an instrument procedure of some sort. Or do you use the instrument departure then (if it exists) as your way out?