PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norfolk Island Ditching ATSB Report - ?
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2012, 08:12
Roger Greendeck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst I agree that experience is extremely valuable I do wish we could find a better way of expressing it than total time. Relavent experience is so much more important. Low time pilots with good supervision and sensible company policies and good support will always do better than high time pilots in a toxic company environment, especially if their experience is in the wrong area for the operation.

Pilots have to build their hours somewhere and if there are pax involved then the only way we can mitigate the risks is with the support I referred to above.

Discounting those who are only wise after the event, those that have commented on the earlier pages that they would not put themselves in a similar situation to these pilots learned somewhere. Hopefully that was from good leadership rather than bitter experience and luck. I know that I owe the good airmanship I show (when I show it) to the many good examples I received throughout my career. And I have been fortunate that the organizations that I have worked in have respected captaincy decisions even if they were not always agreed with. Not everyone is so lucky.