PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Increase in commercial pilots needed?
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2012, 07:57
MCDU2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another factor to take into account is what I term a "job" and what many of the newbies out of flying school actually end up getting.

For example if you swim in a holding pool and are offered a 3-6 month flexi contract paying peanuts where you are struggling to cover your debt payments and making ends meet, is that considered a job?

Also to pay for a type rating and be paid a block hour and then find your hours decrease year on year is that a job. Nope its a tenuous contract arrangement which could cease at any time.

Neither of the above could be considered proper employment in my opinion . Slave labour would be a more apt description.

Still I am sure that the above 2 examples would feature highly in any figures for those successfully gaining employment in the industry. The vast majority of people are getting these gigs out of flight school here in the EU and not proper employment. At a guess maybe 10-20% of those who gain a job each year probably get them with traditional carriers offering the benefits of proper employment eg: employment law, pension, LOL, holiday, sick pay etc etc.

Last edited by MCDU2; 17th Sep 2012 at 07:59.