PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turboprop command or jet F/O
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2012, 07:47
Enecosse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An interesting thread as it touches on a number things that are different in the industry and the dilemma people face.
I am well into 5 figures with flying hours, about half of which were on singles doing aerial work, piston twin single crew stuff and turbo props flying around NW Europe in the main. The rest on jets, with the only place I haven't been being South America.
What has struck me is that if I was to recount anecdotes about my flying career, they would probably be 99% about my flying pre-jet. Is this a good thing, probably. In this day and age we want those jetliners to go boringly from A to B, while we drink our coffee and watch the world go by. Don't get me wrong I still enjoy flying, find it interesting, keep myself motivated but there is a difference. Soon we will have a whole generation of pilots who will have nothing but jet time. As everyone knows the best way to fly a jet is on the autopilot through the FMS.
Whats my point, well the aviation business is what it is these days. I suspect the sooner you get on a jet the better, but what a loss in what you are turning down, TP command time will make you a better pilot. Unfortunately an unappreciated better pilot.

Last edited by Enecosse; 17th Sep 2012 at 07:49.