PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So, How did you spend your Battle of Britain day?
Old 17th Sep 2012, 07:02
PPRuNe Pop
Cool Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have now reached the high side of my years but cannot forget, nor will I ever forget, that a 'FEW' of those of 501 Squadron above fought over my home not one mile from Croydon while I was not yet 9 years old.

I remember, especially at this time of the year, that I am here because of them and others like them. BoB day for me is a time for relection and to give thanks to these guys.

I believe the numbers left are now in the middle double figures. John Cunningham is there but not so long ago left us. AVM Foxley-Norris there too and many others you can see and might even know. ALL OF THEM ARE HEROES!

The picture below has the signatures of those of 501 who signed that night on 1/12/2000 on the back of the picture. There were 15 BoB pilots amongst us that night and it was very humbling and at the same time an immense pleasure to be in their midst. For me that was the best of all the PPRuNe Bashes I did. Few of us went to bed so long as some of them could stay the pace - and they did.