PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - None standard instrument approaches.
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2012, 06:16
mm_flynn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reposting the technical questions I had - which I think are useful and interesting to discuss in the abstract so hopefully can be done with less emotion.

As a reminder, these come from the charts for the ENOV localiser approach and the differences between the Jepp depiction and the AIP. For the sake of argument, the questions apply on the basis that the ENOV runway environment is hidden by a small hill about a quarter mile away on the line of sight from the MAPt to the runway environment. (There are other airports where it is impossible to see the airport from the MAPt)

The questions
  1. What does a charted Visual Segment mean (the dashed arrows on the Jepp chart - not the dashed missed approach line and not any lead in lights (which are not on the main plan view). Specifically, is the Visual Segment a path of the ground which one should fly visually or is it just a general guide to where the airport is. Is this different for PANS-OPS and TERPS, is Jepp's use consistent
  2. For an approach with a charted visual segment, what visual queues do you need to continue with the approach. Is this different if there is a MAPt (there are Visual Approaches that start using a navaid (KDCA, LFMD) and then visual reference but have not MAPt.
  3. If the answer to one above is anything other than the 'runway environment', does anyone have a reference to that.
  4. There is another approach that was discussed where you follow lead in lights around the hill. I assume lead in lights count as 'the runway environment', but once again, does anyone have a reference to that.
  5. On an approach with a visual segment, when you are cleared for the approach (i.e. the localiser) are you also cleared for the visual segment
  6. Norway's AIP does not publish visibility minimums on their charts. Jepp does. How does Jepp determine the visiblity they publish and is it consistent with Euro rules (BW flags that his interpretation of the rules would result in a minimum vis of 5000m but Jepp publishes 1500m

Last edited by mm_flynn; 17th Sep 2012 at 06:17.