PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Elwood (melb) skydiving
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2012, 23:09
UnderneathTheRadar
When you live....

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Pilotchute

Nothing wrong with skydiving and I've been jump pilot in a couple of DZs as well as having jumped myself. Seeing as you're very quick to point out reporting and nasty letters, do the following quotes from the APF Advisory/CAAP152 warrant any action in your expert opinion?

Opening Height means the height at which the parachutist activates the main parachute. (Not to be confused with the height at which the parachute canopy opens). The parachute must be opened by 1800ft AGL except that on a tandem descent the parachute must be open by 4000ft AGL.
(my bold)

Cloud ceiling means the height above the ground or water of the base of the lowest layer of cloud below 20,000FT covering more than one-half of the sky.
How does jumping into Class G with a solid 3200' base combined with the consistent METARs of BKN3200 at MB constitute public safety? exactly?

My concerns are two-fold:
1) assuming they follow the rules, how rigorous was the risk assessment (required by the APF to be agreed by CASA -
Where a risk is identified, the applicant, APF and CASA must reach agreement on the level of risk.
)?
2) they clearly are not following the rules on frequent occasions.

Your logic that because it happens everywhere, it must be ok seems odd. Your assertion that everyone will be directed to remain clear is a little concerning....

UTR.