PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Camp Bastion attack
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2012, 14:50
orca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First off sincere condolences to the families of the USMC who lost their lives. Secondly BZ to the FP boys for fighting off the attack. Thirdly respect and regards to anyone down range.

Seriously though; I think that there are probably grounds for a good discussion here. I am very conscious that one way or another we end up discussing the 'what ifs' of a specific serviceman being wounded or worse in a war. Sensitive ground and fortunately unique (we don't for example have a thread on ARRSE wondering if L/Bdr Davis will make it and what would happen if he didn't). I proffer the following:

1. When we go after a HVT it is usually due to his position within the enemy C2 structure. Harry has no part in ours.

- I therefore assume that people talk of him as a HVT because public opinion and support for the op would drop catastrophically (perhaps even forcing withdrawal) if the unthinkable happened. I remain unconvinced myself that this is the case (although it might be - I am not the general public and only get one vote). I think it just as likely that public opion would be galvanised. I also consider the chance of it happening to be very small.

2. The science of ridding this world of HVTs is incredibly complex. The kill chain required is complex. I think that we can credit the enemy with cunning and bravery, but I remain unconvinced that they can, other than with a very lucky shot, plan on this sort of thing against the person in question. They seem to do very well using IEDs and suicide bombers at shurahs, weddings and funerals to hit HVTs...but a AH pilot flying in and out of Bastion? A symmetrical HVT if you will. Not convinced.

3. The enemy is competent and committed. Can someone point out to me how they would be any more competent or committed due to the presence of a single person in Bastion? I don't see how they can, or why they would, 'up their game', without falling into the trap of meeting our chaps/ chapesses head-to-head.

I am sure some or most will disagree but I look forward to the discussion. Dare I hope it will be adult and balanced? I would re-iterate how sensitive I think this subject is and again, my condolences to those that lost loved ones in the fight.