PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - An act of kindness that hits the heart
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2012, 12:48
gnomie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many years ago operating a Dash from Bne to Central Qld the FA asked if a young UM could visit the cockpit (pre 9/11), certainly bring him up. The young man stood in the entrance to the cockpit amazed at the scene before him while engaging in the usual small talk associated with cockpit visits. Since he was traveling as an unaccompanied minor we offered him the jump for our arrival at his home port. Having plenty of time to get him seated before TOPD (with assistance from the FA) he settled in and continued to look on.

When asked what he wanted to do when he grew up he calmly said that he would not be growing up as he was suffering from a terminal illness, and was on his way home from hospital. This news changed the mood of the cockpit, fortunately we still had 15-20 minutes before TOPD. His parents could not afford to travel with him to hospital relying on aunts etc. while he was in Brisbane.
The subsequent approach and landing was uneventful. As we taxied off the runway he could see his parents as they were waving to him in the cockpit, after shutdown we asked if he would like to turn off the seatbelt sign so the other passengers could get off. He gladly accepted our invitation with a great big smile.

During the walk around and paper work duties in the terminal his mother came over thanking us for giving her son the best flight he had ever had. Each time I passed through that port I asked as to the boys condition, sadly, the flight he got to turn off the seat belt sign with a big smile was his last flight. As sad as it was to be given the news both Ray (F/O) and I felt priviliged for being able to share his last flight.

Last edited by gnomie; 16th Sep 2012 at 11:12.