PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 321 close to stall
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2012, 05:56
whatthefuh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The real problem is the current malaise of pilots' over-reliance on the automatics coupled with some carriers' refusal to allow their pilots to practice their manual flying skills - (at a suitable time and place of course.) Automation has become so good and reliable on all modern types that we naturally expect it to work all the time.

Pilots no longer scan the way they needed to while hand-flying and I've found it very informative to cover the engine instruments during an auto-approach and ask the other guy what the thrust setting was. 90% of the F/Os didn't know, which frightened the life out of me. Try it some day for yourself - you may be horrified too.

It's all in that excellent video about the children of the magenta line. It all works so well 99% of the time that we'd better really know our automatics when it all goes pear-shaped - regardless of whether it's an A or B a/c. Unfortunately, from 20 years of TRE experience, I've found that most pilots don't know it. Then add in the surprise factor and it can all go badly wrong in a very short time.