PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Increase in commercial pilots needed?
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2012, 05:54
Luke SkyToddler

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Here's another way to spin the Boeing report ...

Here at my employer, Vietnam Airlines, the expansion is massive - we have between 120 and 150 brand new CPL cadets per year arriving every year for most of the rest of this decade. A new A320 arriving every month for the next few years, we've got big orders in for A350s, B787s, and A380s.

The plan is to progressively replace all the western expat contract pilot with locals, as the new cadets join and become more experienced. They will have phased out all expat F/O's by the end of this year and they plan to have no western captains within 5 years.

A more-or-less variation of that plan is in place at just about every airline in the far east and middle east - including traditional bastions of expat jobs like Cathay and Singapore. Replacing expensive expats with cheaper locals. Same story all over India, some of the Gulf airlines as well.

And guess what, when me and my several thousand colleagues out here get displaced, we'll be coming back to our home countries looking for whatever we can get in terms of flying jobs - just like you guys - except most of us have many thousands of hours of Boeing and Airbus time.

My point is, that on one level, sure the expansion is happening but on another level, it's actually a bad thing for you first world wannabes.

The sad truth guys is that in the old world (Europe / Australia / USA), aviation has never been harder or more expensive to get into at the ground floor level and pilot wages have been in real-terms decline for decades now. Banks aren't lending money to student pilots and training costs are sky high. Traditional flag carrier airlines are under massive pressure to cut costs or die. Recruitment is pretty much non existent except for the profit-centre-for-the-airline schemes like CTC and Ryanair F/O things (hesitate to call them "jobs").

Don't know what the answer is, but any flying school marketer who trots out that Boeing report needs a good smack in the chops i.m.o.