PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best App for GA Pilots
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2012, 20:33
Pappa Delta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wife stole my Iphone, but I still have the Ipad as I leave it in the plane.

Use the Ipad beercat. Good for you. I did my private in a Cessna 150 on the prairy of Alberta.(15 years ago. no ipads) Then I flew Piper Chieftain in the Bush Alaska. Medivac to unlit strips at night (VFR) sometimes, with a GNS 430. Indians were lighting the runway with quads. Yes yes, it realy shapes your skills. But to be honest, Ipad with all info and navigation apps would have been so helpfull. It is a safety issue. If it makes your life easier you can concentrate more on other things. One of the first things I learned for my Private; Preflight: Get familiar with all applicable and available information affecting your flight. Cockpit management: Use everything you have available to you to the fullest.

I have an Ipad now. I fly a private jet. It is much shinier, much faster, pays much better, but not as much fun as VFR flying in a 152. I use the Ipad for the Jepp charts. When there is a runway/Approach change, with the finger touch I have the new charts in front of me. Calculates weight and ballance. All manuals are in it. No more paper. It is the most excellent improvement in cockpit management. I have the aero wheather app. Current weather at all times. And you know what? I fly all my take offs and approaches by hand so I don't loose skills. And granted I have a glass cockpit, but sometimes I turn it all off and fly the ADF into moscow.

The Ipad allows you to enjoy your VFR flying more. Your moving map aiplane on your sectional chart warns you to not fly by accidant in airspaces where you need a clearance.

Sometimes I envy the old pilots who knew how to navigate by the stars. Nobody is doing it anymore because technology has caught up, but if there was an old dog who would teach me I would take it in a heartbeat.

Best Regards,
Im going to the bar.